Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gluten Free and Vegan - Double Chocolate Cookies!

(There are not many better things in life than a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk!
Featured here is So Delicious Coconut Milk.)


Okay. Not to toot my own horn (although I kinda do, don't I, by blogging?). But seriously, I just made what may be my best batch of gluten free & vegan cookies yet! These cookies are soft, not too sweet, with a double punch of chocolate that simply begs for a glass of cold milk (casein free, of course!) to wash them down. They are not gritty, not crumbly and very honestly awesome. You know, the kind of awesome that when you bite into them, all you can do is smile. Which is exactly what the girls did, and they are not usually at a loss for words. I love it when that happens. ("Oh, a moment of peace and quiet! Here, have another cookie!" No, I promise I don't do that...much.)

The inspiration for this recipe comes by way of Gluten Free Goddess, check out her recipe and beautiful picture here. I ended up combining two different recipes (Vegan Chocolate Chip and Mexican Hot Chocolate) because they are the most fail-safe cookie recipes in my arsenal. Their progeny definitely did not let me down!

Double Chocolate Cookies

Dry Ingredients
1 2/3 cup GF flour blend (I used this one)
1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk or other casein-free alternative
1/4 cup plain applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour through the xanthan gum, set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the canola oil through the vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth and the oil is fully incorporated. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat with a fork until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. The dough will be thick and goopy (an awesomely chocolatey good kind of goopy).

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet leaving 2 inches of space between each cookie to allow for spreading. Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for one minute before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

(I don't know about you, but I see visions of coconut milk ice cream sandwiched between two of these cookies!)

10 comments:

P. said...

I am definitely going to make these, maybe as soon as tomorrow morning! Thanks for what looks to be another awesome GFCF recipe. I appreciate all you share here. (PS-the "here" link to GFGoddess wasn't working when I tried it.)

Erin said...

Hi P., thanks and you're welcome and thanks! I fixed the link. :)

Ina said...

Erin - those cookies look divine! Chocolate and more chocolate, can`t go wrong there!

Maria said...

OMG, these look delicious! Wait, wait, did you use So Delicious Coconut Milk to make the cookies, too? Because I love the stuff, but haven't tried baking with it yet.

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina! Everything is better with chocolate. :)

Maria - I use So Delicious Coconut Milk for everything. They work well in these cookies, too!

SLColman said...

These cookies look amazing!!

Michelle D said...

Hey! I love this cookies. I've made them several times and the entire family enjoys...BUT I've recently dumped white and brown sugar opting for coconut sugar. I substituted this into this recipe and my cookies were REALLY dry. They never even made it out of the cute little balls. What did I do wrong? Please help!!!

Erin said...

Hi Michelle! I don't use coconut sugar so I'm not sure if and how it acts differently than white or brown sugar. I don't think it should act terribly differently, though. If your cookies are dry and crumbly, try adding a little more coconut milk or applesauce to the cookie batter. I also don't know what flours you are using...I find that having chickpea flour in the cookies helps bind them and keep them moist. Try adding a little more moisture to your batter and let me know how it goes!

Michelle D said...

Thank you Erin! A cook I am not so knowing what adjustments to make when is so not my thing!

Erin said...

No problem, Michelle. Good luck making your adjustments!