Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Turnip Greens with Garlic and Mustard


I have been too busy to play with new recipes for baked goods recently (though hopefully soon that will change, because I'm dying to tackle crumpets!). Instead, I have been having fun cooking vegetables. In the past week I've made beets, beet greens, kale, cabbage, cauliflower soup (which Megan begs me to make) and now, turnip greens. I've been meaning to try turnip greens for awhile since they are chock full of calcium!

I made these turnip greens simply and took cues from this recipe here (the greens sauteed with mustard sounded good). I really liked these greens, though I'm not sure how much of that is due to my taste preferences...I rather enjoy the bitter taste of greens (I also happen to be one of those weirdos who don't rinse quinoa because I like the slightly bitter taste). Although I think turnip greens are not very bitter at all, DH seems to think they are a little bitter, like mustard greens. He thought they were good, but I thought they were very good.

So I enjoyed these turnip greens immensely for dinner the other night, and the next day their cleansing properties took me a little by surprise! I told my mom this and she laughed at me (thanks, Mom). She says it's traditional in the spring to do a liver cleanse (or spring cleaning of sorts), and her family enjoys dandelion greens, fiddleheads and scoke (honestly, I have no idea what that is but my mom insists I've had it before) in the springtime. Anyway, I like the turnip greens so much that I'll just have to desensitize myself to them. I hope that happens, because they are yummy...with mustard...chock full of calcium...greens, fabulous greens! I totally crave them (and for that, I totally blame Anna).

1 large bunch turnip greens
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Wash and remove the spines from the turnip greens (save the spines for your composter, if you have one!). Tear into large chunks. Set aside. There is no need to spin them dry.

Whisk together the wine, water and mustard. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute or until fragrant. Add the wine mixture and stir. Add the turnip greens, turning to coat, and cook for one minute. Cover the pot with a lid, turn down the heat and simmer about five minutes. Uncover the pot and cook another five minutes or so, stirring frequently, until most the the liquid has been absorbed and the greens are wilted. Serve hot.

*This made enough for two large portions for two hungry adults. I served these with millet...turnip greens tossed with millet turned out to be a nice light dinner, though they would be good tossed with pasta or rice or quinoa, too.

3 comments:

Ina said...

I'm with you Erin...love all kinds of greens, and this looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

No, fiddleheads are different.
Scoke, (not really sure how it's spelled) is called by another name by some, but not by us. They are eagerly awaited each spring when it finally gets around to warming up. I have noticed that they have been getting a bit harder to find in the past couple of years. Anyway, you pick the leaves and cook them up like Swiss chard/spinach or similar greens in the spring. They are best when young and tender - not so good when they start to grow too big on the stalk and they should not be eaten when the berries develop. So delicious cooked up and served with a big splash of vinegar and some good olive oil. In my opinion, it's the dandelion that is good for the liver especially after the heavier foods of winter.
(BTW, the chives are poking up and I've got my snips sharpened in anticipation. Are you jealous?)

Erin said...

Thanks Ina!

Anonymous - you are right, it's spelled scoke. Interesting info:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Scoke
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scoke
Pokeweed? Hmph. Scoke sounds better. I really don't remember this herb at all!