Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Spicy Sweet Potato Curry

I love soups and curries. DH bought an Indian cook book a year ago and has been working through different Indian-inspired recipes - one of the things I like most is the addition of dried red chilies to the soups and curries he has been making. He makes a mean lentil dish with chilies and spinach...it's so spicy and addictive that I've been known to hide it from him and keep it to myself. I'd feel guilty about that, but he eats all the potato chips in the house. So there, DH. You share the potato chips and I'll share the lentils. Deal?

Anyway, I made Spicy Potato Curry last week and wanted to make another curry this week, so I chose a recipe featuring sweet potatoes. The original recipe calls for chicken, but I prefer vegetarian curries lately, and I think that cauliflower works nicely here. I've messed around slightly with the original recipe in other ways too and have added dried red chilies to it. I like it. I can't handle as much heat as DH and three peppers is enough for me, but you might want to add twice the chilies for a nice burn.

This recipe makes enough for 6 hungry adults. I've made it twice recently and it's gone too fast to snap pictures of it. Gosh darn it, I'll just have to make it again!

2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground tumeric
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (plus more as desired)
1 bay leaf
3 dried Sanaam peppers, whole or chopped (plus more as desired -I get them from Penzey's Spices)

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly vertically sliced
1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (plus more as needed)
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 small head cauliflower, washed and cut into 1" florets
1 14.5oz can chickpeas, drained
1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1 - 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Combine the curry powder through the Sanaam peppers in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large pot (I like using my Le Creuset dutch oven). Add the onion and cook about 7 minutes or until softened. Stir in the ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent the garlic from burning. Add the curry powder mixture and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable broth, undrained tomatoes, sweet potato, cauliflower and chickpeas and stir to combine. Add a little more vegetable broth if needed. Cover and cook 15 - 20 minutes or until the sweet potato and cauliflower are cooked through. Turn off the heat and add the green peas and the lemon juice to taste. Adjust the salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf. Serve hot over brown rice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really delicious! Love Indian food!

Allergic Adventures said...

this sounds great- so glad I found your blog, we have many similar allergies in our household!

Thanks, Breanna @ Allergic Adventures

Erin said...

Thanks, Breanna, and welcome!