Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fried Pickles!


The other week out of the blue in a random conversation, a friend mentioned fried pickles and how much she liked them. And I suddenly, fervently needed to have some. So salty and crispy and sour, fried pickles may be my favorite fried food. Not that I do fried food much. Well aside from potato chips, but those don't count. Yes, my friends, fried pickles are simply divine. If you are a fan of anything related to vinegar, kraut and their ilk, you will probably like fried pickles.

My friend paid a visit today and we finally got to fry up a batch of pickles. The stacking kosher dills were all I could find that were safe (no corn syrup, no preservatives, no food dyes) so we used those. I was a little afraid they would not turn out well, thinking maybe sans egg they'd be soggy or the coating would fall off easily. But no! The coating was crispy and it stayed on perfectly, making the pickles stiff and not floppy which was really awesome. They were so good. Really, really good. The picture does not do them justice. It's a good thing I only made a small batch to share with a friend, or I would have been very tempted to scarf them all up myself.

You may feel free to serve your fried pickles with ketchup, BBQ sauce, honey mustard, ranch dressing or whatever else might float your boat. I happen to like mine plain!

1/4 cup lite coconut milk (such as Thai Kitchen)
4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or more to taste
sliced dill pickles
canola oil for frying

Pour canola oil to a 1 inch depth into a large pot or dutch oven or a skillet with tall sides. Heat the oil over medium-low heat until a pinch of rice flour thrown into it sizzles.

Set out three shallow dishes. In one combine the coconut milk and lemon juice. Put the potato starch in another. In the last one, combine the rice flour and cayenne.

Lay your pickles on paper towels and blot them dry. Dip one at a time into the coconut milk, shaking off the excess. Then dredge in potato starch. Dip them again into the coconut milk, and dredge them in rice flour to coat evenly. Place them carefully in the hot oil. Fry 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then flip and fry on the other side another 3 minutes until the whole slice is crisp and golden.

Drain the pickles on paper towels, remove them to a clean paper towel in a serving dish and serve hot.

*I tried these two ways - dipping the pickles in coconut milk/potato starch/coconut milk/rice flour, and dredging them first in potato starch, then dipping them in coconut milk and coating them with rice flour. Both ways work fine, but the first method produces a hardier, crunchier crust which my friend and I preferred.

4 comments:

Ina said...

Mercy! I am gonna be in trouble with this recipe! I'll have to wait till my kids come to visit..dh does not do pickles of any kind, poor man! Thanks for sharing - looks divine!

Erin said...

Thanks Ina. My husband does not like pickles either...he does not know what he's missing!

Penny said...

The photo makes my mouth water.

Erin said...

Thanks, Penny!