Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sprouting Beans, Trial 2

Brown chickpea sprouts about 5 days old.

I am continuing to sprout things, this time around it's random beans. My friend gave me samplings of no-name beans from an Indian market she frequents. One of the samples was a bag of small brown chickpeas, the others I have no idea what they are...one of the beans is the size of a chickpea but perfectly round and a cream color. Another is just like that, but a greenish color. Another looks like small brown mung beans. So far, they all sprout beautifully with minimal fuss. I lay them in a non-stick 9"x13" baking dish and soak them in water for 4 - 6 hours. Then I drain them and put them on the table for a few days. I don't even bother to put them in the cabinet, which is what my friend recommended, because I'm likely to forget that they are in there (on the table, they stare at me and I can't forget them). I rinse them once or twice a day, and it only takes a day before they start to sprout. In 4 - 5 days, their tails get long. I let them go until they are about to split apart and then I cook them.

My friend says she enjoys sprouted beans raw on top of salads. They taste much too bitter for me to do that - I have to cook them but Anna likes them raw. I guess it depends on your taste. When they are cooked they take on a slightly nutty flavor, which might be nice for those who need to avoid nuts. My favorite way to cook them is in a tablespoon of coconut oil and chopped greens (any green - spinach, chard, mustard greens, arugula, kale, etc.) and seasoned simply with salt and pepper!

Sauteed brown chickpeas with chopped kale from the garden!

No comments: