Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Garden Relish


This dish is made with the vegetables and herbs from our garden, with the exception of the garlic. I'll have to try growing garlic next year, after we make our garden bigger again! I made this last night with just the tomatoes and served it on top of sardines, it was quite good. I liked it so much that I made it again today and added cucumbers from our neighbor's garden and served it on top of millet burgers (without the hot sauce). It'd also be good served with fish or chicken or on top of pasta or rice.

large handful of cherry tomatoes, rinsed
1 large pickling cucumber, rinsed
several fresh basil leaves, rinsed
a couple of sprigs of parsley, rinsed
1 large clove garlic, minced
olive oil
splash of red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Chop the tomatoes into eights and place into a bowl. Cut the cucumber into quarters, then dice them and add them to the tomatoes. Shake the water off the basil and parsley, coarsely chop and add to the veggies in the bowl. Add the minced garlic, drizzle a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over all and add a splash of red wine vinegar. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 2.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Garlic is so easy to grow (I'm in zone 5). It's a bulb and you need to plant it in the fall. Harvesting takes a little effort and space but not horrible. I even missed harvesting last summer (crazy one) and now this year I have a ton sprouting up. And the best thing about garlic is that it adjusts to your garden conditions and adapts. I love garlic. Today I cut all the flowers off my garlic and have them in a vase. Such a pretty sight!

Erin said...

Hi Nicole - I will have to plant some garlic this fall, then! Garlic flowers in a vase sound awesome!