Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Onion Rings, Gluten Free & Vegan



I made onion rings for DH recently as a special snack while he was working from home late into the night. He about bowed down and kissed my feet - these onion rings get the DH stamp of approval. I did exactly the same thing with them as with Fried Pickles and they turned out just as crisp with a satisfying crunch. I don't know why it took me so long to try making them vegan - egg is simply not needed! I used rice flour this time but next time I'll try chickpea flour to see what happens!

1 large onion, cut into thick rounds
potato starch
full-fat coconut milk (not lite)
brown rice flour
canola oil for frying

Heat the canola oil over medium heat. While the oil is heating, separate the onion slices into individual rings. When the oil is hot (when a pinch of rice flour thrown into it sizzles), taking a few onion rings at a time, dredge each in potato starch to coat. Dip into the coconut milk, making sure all surfaces are wet. Then toss with rice flour to coat. Fry a few onion rings at a time, making sure they don't touch one another while frying or they will stick together. Fry a few minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining onion rings. Serve hot plain, with ketchup, or however you like!

(Sooooo yummy!)

2 comments:

The Hardys said...

Looks great! Thanks for the recipe. I'm so excited to check out your other recipes. I am a vegan that is gluten/soy/yeast/corn free. Let's just say it's hard to find classic treats like this to eat! My brother is also autistic. I'm excited to follow your blog.

Erin said...

Thanks for your comment! I hope you like the onion rings when you try them. :)