Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Beets from Our Garden


The other day I harvested two medium beets from the garden. For dinner I decided to cook them on the stove top because it's really far too hot to roast them in the oven. They turned out quite good sauteed with garlic, white wine and their leafy green tops. I regret not planting more beets, because they are so delicious! They were also different than what I can buy in the stores - a softer red color and a softer texture (not totally soft, but not rock-hard like I'm used to, either). Next year we'll plant more beets. Hopefully by then I can get the girls to like them, too.

a couple of tablespoons of olive oil
2 medium beets with their green tops
1 or 2 large cloves of garlic, depending on your taste
splash or two of white wine
salt and pepper to taste

Liberate the beets from their leafy green tops (does anybody else watch Posh Nosh?). Wash the greens and chop them coarsely (I like to include the stems as well) and set them aside.

Wash the beets and peel them. Chop them into matchsticks and set aside. Mince the garlic, set aside.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the chopped beets and cook until almost tender, stirring often. Add the white wine when they seem a bit dry. Add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add the chopped greens and cook until the greens are wilted. Turn off the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 2.

2 comments:

JW said...

I make an "Instant Pickled Beets" by tossing them with cider vinegar, a little salt, pepper, and garlic (often garlic powder). This is after steaming them.

It is so simple and tasty. I bet it would be good with the chopped greens tossed in too!

Mmm... now I can't wait for this season's beets!

Erin said...

JW - that sounds good, I'll have to try it. Except for the cooked part, it sounds a bit like Raw Beet Salad (http://myaspergersgirl.blogspot.com/2010/06/shaes-raw-beet-salad.html), which I think you might like!