Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Blueberry Kuchen


Blueberries are on sale! I love blueberries in baked goods and decided to make some blueberry kuchen for breakfast. I decided to follow a Penzey's recipe, which converted to being gluten free and vegan splendidly. It was easy to make, taking only a few minutes to throw together, and the end result is delicious. My pictures don't do it justice.

For this recipe, I decided to replace the egg with So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt and a little baking soda. It was a great choice - the yogurt kept the tart dough moist without being sticky and the finished crumb was perfect. I have very strong feelings about how to replace eggs in my recipes. I really don't believe there is one magic bullet (or even two) to use as a replacement, so I refuse to keep Egg Replacer in the house. I'd rather pick and choose from an arsenal of potential egg replacers based on what they can offer to my baked good. Every recipe is different, every baked good has a different personality. What is the egg doing in the recipe in the first place? Is it for moisture, binding, leavening, thickening, more than one of the above, none of the above?

I like to replace eggs with one or more of these possibilities: bananas, applesauce, prune butter, avocado, yogurt, flax seed gel, chickpea flour, gelatin or pectin and a little extra leavening. Other choices I have not played with (yet) include agar agar and chia seed gel. What I first liked most about gluten-free baking was the flexibility I had with all the different flours - each lends a different taste and texture to the end product. It is the same with replacing eggs. It keeps life really interesting and challenging. I am not a chemist, just a home cook. But I love learning, I love having choices and I love thinking outside the box. It works for me - and this time, yogurt works for this kuchen!

Blueberry Kuchen

1 1/4 cups GF flour blend
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, if desired
1/4 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt

1/3 cup palm shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 dry pint blueberries, rinsed
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling, if desired

1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. GF flour blend
pinch cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour* a 9-inch round cake pan, set aside.

In a medium bowl sift together the flour through the salt, set aside. In a large bowl cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the yogurt and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth.

Turn the dough into the prepared pan. Sprinkle a little flour evenly over top of the dough and press with your hands evenly over the bottom of the pan and 1/2 inch up the sides. Spread the blueberries over the bottom of the dough. Sprinkle with a teaspoon or so of the cinnamon sugar, if desired.

Combine the coconut oil through the cinnamon and stir until smooth. Take this mixture and rub between your fingers to sprinkle it over the blueberries evenly. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the edges are puffed and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature before serving. Serves 6 or 8, depending on how you cut it. Or 4, depending on how hungry your kids are!

*To flour the pan, throw in a tablespoon or so of the gluten free flour blend you are using to make the dough into the pan. Tap lightly along the bottom and over the sides so a thin layer of flour covers the greased areas of the pan. Turn the pan over and tap with your fingers several times to shake loose any excess flour. Greasing and flouring the pan helps to keep the tart from sticking to the pan.

6 comments:

Vegiegail said...

That looks delicious! I have a garden full of blueberries (I was wondering what to make with them!) and a fridge full of So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt, and I cannot wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Erin said...

Thanks, Vegiegail! I hope you like it. :)

Ina said...

So yummy looking! I would like to try using coconut flour in the GF flour mix for this dish - so tasty with blueberries! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina. I think coconut flour is a good idea, I hope you try it!

Cali said...

What kind of pan did you use here? I have been trying to hunt for the original Kuchen pans which are 9" by 1" made of enamel!

Erin said...

I used a 9" round cake pan. A pie pan and a tart pan would work well too, as would a springform pan.