Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt


I recently tried my hand at homemade yogurt. I've been very into DIY lately and I chose to follow the recipe found in Wild Fermenation (making yogurt using an insulated cooler instead of a yogurt maker), substituting canned full-fat coconut milk for the cow's milk. I also read with interest the process for making coconut milk yogurt here at The GFCF Lady.

Making my own yogurt turned out to be very easy and the result was very creamy. I really like it a lot. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more sour and yogurt-y it tastes. It's very rich and tastes quite decadent. The only problem I had with the process described in Wild Fermentation is that it was hard to maintain the ideal 110 degree temperature in an insulated cooler, and I did need to add pectin to thicken a fairly runny end product. But I would do it again, now that I know how. Next time, I'm going to try making yogurt in a crock pot following these guidelines here, and then I might also try using the oven method (leaving the light on in the oven and wrapping towels around the crock).



So what I did this first time around was this:

Heat 3 cans of coconut milk to 180 degrees. Let the coconut milk cool to 110 degrees. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

For each can of coconut milk, add 1 capsule of your favorite probiotic (we use dairy-free Bluebonnet ). Take out 1 cup of coconut milk, whisk in the probiotics and add back to the rest of the coconut milk, whisking to combine. Pour into two quart-sized glass jars with lids.

Wrap the jars with warm towels and place in an insulated cooler. Place jars of hot water inside the cooler and cover with a lid. Let the yogurt sit overnight. I found it hard to maintain the temperature to an ideal 110 degrees even in an insulated cooler (maybe I should get a different cooler) so I had to replace the jars of hot water with more hot water and re-wrap the yogurt jars with warm towels.

I let the yogurt sit for another 12 hours (24 hours total). Then I poured the yogurt into a blender, whisked in 1 tsp. Pomona's Universal Pectin and the 1 tsp. calcium water that comes with the package, and blended until smooth. I poured the yogurt back into the quart jars and placed them in the refrigerator. The next day, I had creamy, mild-tasting yogurt. We enjoyed this yogurt over the course of 3 weeks and the longer it sat in the fridge, the more it tasted like yogurt. Our favorite way to enjoy this ultra-creamy yogurt is for dessert, drizzled with a little bit of maple syrup. I'm hooked, and I can't wait to make it again!

(Next time I make yogurt - probably this week - I will use the crock pot method.)

11 comments:

Nicole said...

I look forward to the crock pot method. I'll have to try this. I don't like eating it regularly but to use in recipes is another thing. And I hate having to drive a bit to find it at Whole Foods where I end up spending way too much!

Erin said...

I'm washing my new little crock pot right now! It was cheaper than buying a yogurt maker...let's hope it works out well, because I want to get the girls into smoothies!

Nicole said...

Mmm, love smoothies! My kids have an iffy relationship with them. My 2 year old loves them. My 4 year old used to but he's being picky about everything these days. And my 6 year old doesn't like too many I've made unless it's super sweet and super smooth. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i was wonderinf because i want to try make it.i dont have this insulated cooler....can i use a pot and place the jars in there?the warm towels are wet warm?and since her eits getting too hot..i wont need to change the water???or maybe place the jars in the oven for some hours at 110c???maybe it will ferment that way...sorry i am clueless...thank you demi

Erin said...

Hi Demi, you can try using a big pot. Put your yogurt in its own container in the middle, wrap the yogurt with DRY warm towels, then place containers of hot water all around the towels. Cover the pot and put it in the oven with the oven light on (do not turn on the oven!). Put a sign on your oven to remind you to not turn it on. Keep the oven door closed. Let the yogurt sit overnight and check it. If it has not thickened, replace the towels with new warm towels and the containers of water with new containers of hot water, and let the yogurt sit another several hours. Hopefully this will work for you. Let me know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

When I make yogurt, I place it in the oven with just the oven light on. It's just the right amount of heat. The yogurt sets up perfectly every time. Then I just pop them containers in the fridge when done fermenting.

Erin said...

I tried that, but it did not work as well for me. Maybe I'll try it again and see what happens. :)

Barbie said...

You're supposed to pour the hot water directly around the containers of yogurt, then wrap the entire container that has the water and glass jars of yogurt in the towels, to retain the heat. The heat from the water in containers won't be enough to penetrate the towels and the material that's holding the liquid to keep everything warm.

Erin said...

Thanks, I'll try that.

Courtney said...

To get the right temp I use a heating pad on the counter and put a towel on top. I've only tried with cow milk, but I want to try this, thanks!

Erin said...

Great idea, thanks! I'll have to try that!