Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Shortcut Sweet Chili Sauce


Recently a friend came over for lunch. I had promised her vegetable spring rolls (next time I'll make these) and at the last minute I forgot that I had run out of purchased Sweet Chili Sauce! So I threw some together from scratch (with the help of some purchased Chili Garlic Sauce). It came out really good, better than store-bought! Next time I'll make it from scratch for real, with fresh chilies, taking cues from this recipe here and this one here, but my shortcut version is super fast, easy and really hit the spot.

1 tbsp. prepared garlic-chili sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. potato starch

Combine the garlic-chili sauce through the fish sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in the potato starch and simmer until slightly thickened, about a minute. Remove from heat. Cool before serving. The sauce will thicken a little bit more after cooking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has fish sauce in! Please remove from the vegan label :)
Other than that, really interesting to read your blog!

Erin said...

Whoops! Sorry about that! Label removed!