Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Crock Pot Coconut Milk Yogurt

(Yogurt drizzled with maple syrup...yum, yum.)

Well, I cannot believe how busy I've been these past couple of weeks! Many apologies for being so quiet lately. I have had NO time to post recipes, what with the start of school, meeting with Megan's school counselor and trying to pin down her teacher for a discussion about her classroom accommodations (sadly, the discussion still has not materialized), the plumbers coming out twice to flush our drain lines, the handyman coming out twice to fix leaky faucets, the masons coming out twice to fix our crumbling mortar and broken bricks, both toilets breaking and the car needing clutch service...or transmission service - one of the two, at least. Hopefully not both (though everything seems to be breaking in two's so I should just prepare for the worst). After getting a shockingly high quote from the dealer for repairs, we're taking the car to a local independent garage to get their take on our situation.

So anyway, it's been crazy busy over here. It never rains but it pours! And that's entirely figurative...we have not had any sort of substantial rain in months. Although our triple digit heat has been broken, hopefully for good until next summer. Yesterday it was fabulously cool and breezy, with temps only in the 80's! DH spent the day digging up our garden to put in raised beds and we planted seeds last night in the dark by flashlight. I now understand why people freak out and start wearing sweaters and boots in 80 degree weather...I think it's the relief from the heat and a desire to welcome cooler weather and a change of seasons. Although it's possible that the heat has baked everybody's brains to the point that 80 degrees feels frigid. I would not be surprised by that at all really...the heat was extreme and it lasted a long time. I'm so glad to welcome autumn. Apple pies and hot cocoa, here I come!

In a recent bit of spare downtime, I finally managed to make a second batch of homemade yogurt, this time with a crock pot instead of an insulated cooler. I also used one can of full-fat coconut milk and one can of lite coconut milk. This batch is the one I prefer - it was easy and it tastes a little lighter (not as rich). I bought a special small slow cooker instead of a yogurt maker because it was cheaper and I could make a smaller batch of yogurt that was not so overwhelming. I also felt like I had more control over the process. I need to make some more yogurt this week and I can't wait! It's really a lot of fun to do this myself!


Crock Pot Coconut Milk Yogurt

1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 can lite coconut milk
3 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 capsules probiotics (such as Bluebonnet)
1 tsp. pectin (if using Pomona's Universal Pectin, include 1 tsp. calcium water)

Pour the coconut milk into the crock pot. Turn heat to low and let sit 2 1/2 hours. Turn off the heat and let sit, covered, another 3 hours or till the temperature reaches 110 degrees. Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Pour about a cup of the coconut milk mixture into a blender or food processor. Break open the capsules and add the probiotic powder to the coconut milk, along with the pectin and calcium water (if using). Blend until smooth. Return the coconut milk to the crock pot and wrap in a heavy towel or two. Let sit for 12 - 18 hours.

I started this process at 2pm in the afternoon. I let the yogurt sit overnight wrapped in towels. In the morning, I transferred the crock pot to the oven and left the oven light on. By 4pm, 26 hours after starting the whole process, the yogurt had thickened a bit and tasted pleasantly tangy. I put the yogurt in the fridge and it thickened a bit more. The next day, we enjoyed fruit and yogurt for breakfast!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Seems pretty easy, Erin, thank you! And you, a mom, busy? No way! ;) And oh, my kids were in pants and long sleeves when our heat broke (it was in the 70s). Even to me, pregnant, it felt cold! But very welcome!

Erin said...

It's breezy and cooler again tonight, Nicole - so, so welcome! I yearn for the days of 70 degree weather...hopefully they will be here soon. :)

Momma Fox said...

Do you think this would work with almond milk? My little guy can't do coconut (much to my dismay) but I would love to be able for him to have yogurt and currently he can't have any since the only options I know of are coconut, soy and dairy.

Erin said...

Hi Momma Fox,
my daughter cannot do almond milk, so I can't test this for you to make absolutely sure, but I believe it is possible to make yogurt with almond milk. I would recommend you take a look at this recipe here http://funkyfoodallergies.blogspot.com/2011/03/coconut-milk-yogurt-in-crockpot.html which I think would work well with almond milk (without the gelatin, I think it would be a little runny). I do recommend against using a starch to thicken the yogurt, it will probably taste starchy. There are also other recipes (Google "almond milk yogurt") that make almond milk yogurt out of raw almonds - I don't know if you want to do that or just use prepared almond milk. Please let me know how it goes. I think it can be done successfully and without much fuss. :)