Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Stuff (Inspired by Mom)

My mom had a knack for driving me batty when I was a kid. When I was seeking information (which I'm sure she considered "pestering"), she'd give me non-answers.

"Mom, where are you going?"
"Crazy! Want to come?"
"No, Mom! Where are you going?!"
"Crazy! Bye!"

That little exchange in particular would throw me into fits. Here's another good one.

"Mom, what's for dinner?"
"Stuff!"
"Really? Come on, Mom, what are you making for dinner?"
"I told you - Stuff. Want to try it?"

I'm happy to say my mom never really went crazy, and that her Stuff was pretty darn good. Stuff was usually leftovers, simmered in red sauce and served with rice. It was different every time, depending on what we had hanging around in the fridge. Here's one of my spins on Stuff. And I will admit to telling my daughters some of the same things my mom told me. Sometimes I open my mouth and I'm surprised to hear my mom talking. But the "crazy" thing? I'll never tell my daughters that one. Really Mom, that was infuriating!

Here's a variation on Rice and Beans Stuff. It's super fast, made with leftover grains and things found in the pantry. It meets the Anna and Megan stamp of approval. Best of all, it takes just about 10 minutes to make which is very welcome on busy nights.

3 cups cooked beans - pinto, black, white or black eyed peas (or 2 cans, drained)
vegetable broth
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salsa style tomatoes
lime juice
chili powder
cumin
salt
pepper
parsley or cilantro
leftover cooked rice, quinoa or millet

In a small pot, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes, stirring often, until soft. Add the beans (you can mash half of them if you like) and a little vegetable broth, maybe 1/4 cup. Stir in a little of the tomatoes, start with 1/2 cup. Add 1 tbsp. lime juice, 2 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, a little salt and a dash of pepper. You might want to throw in some cayenne for a little kick. Stir and heat, then taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Toss in some parsley or cilantro and serve over re-heated cooked grains. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired. When I want it to have more bite, I'll shake on some Frank's Red Hot.

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - I so hear you!..Sometimes I wonder from your posts, am I looking in the mirror...I think so. Thank you for your blog, it is so insightful, and thought provoking. :)

Erin said...

Oooo, Ina, the mirror thing is interesting! That just gave me the chills! Thanks for your comment...you know I love your blog too. So inspiring. I love the way you come up with something new all the time! :)