Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Curried Sprouted Beans

I've been busy sprouting things in my new spiffy Victorio three level sprouter! I love it - it does not take up a lot of space in my small kitchen and I can keep the moisture level consistent so my sprouts are neither moldy nor dry.


My favorite thing to sprout so far are alfalfa seeds simply because Anna loves them so much. She'll grab great hulking handfuls of them and eat them on the run. I'm lucky if I get any alfalfa sprouts at all.

Here are some "tic-tac" sprouts (I've no idea what they are actually called) - a friend gave them to me after she got them from an Indian market. She puts these sprouts on top of salads but I like them better sauteed in coconut oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.

I also like to sprout a mix of lentils, green peas and chickpeas and had some handy when Ina posted a recipe for Curry Pate that called for sprouted beans. I used her recipe as a guide to make Curried Sprouted Beans. DH and I enjoyed them plain and Anna enjoyed them with pasta for dinner. I think even Megan had some, and that makes this dish a winner in our house. Thanks, Ina, for the inspiration!


1 1/2 cups fresh sprouted legumes (chickpeas, green peas, lentils, mung beans, etc.)
1/4 cup diced onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
dash of lemon juice, if desired

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the onion, garlic and sprouted beans and stir to coat. Cook for a few minutes, until the onion begins to soften.

Add the white wine, curry powder, ginger, salt and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Cover the skillet and cook for about another 5 minutes, or until fragrant. The liquid should be mostly absorbed. Taste and adjust the salt and cayenne if needed. Add a dash of lemon juice if desired. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Ina said...

You are so welcome Erin! This looks, delicious! And talk about healthy too..now I want some of this dinner! :)

Erin said...

Thanks Ina. :)