Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wilted Kale Salad


I have not baked anything interesting lately. This is stressing me out, since Christmas is just around the corner. I have not had the time - I've been working. Yes, that's right...I landed a part-time retail job - a year ago! I've been snapping up as many hours as possible during the holiday season while they are available. This is good for the bills, but not so good for the baking. Sigh.

I made this kale salad (based on this recipe by Sarah Kramer) for Thanksgiving and it was amazing. I've made it again since then and I'm making it for Christmas too. It's healthy, delicious and really quite pretty. I love any leftovers as a kale and (Daiya) cheese quesadilla for breakfast the next morning. But then, I'm weird with my greens like that.

1 large bunch kale, washed and spines removed
1 small raw beet, peeled and grated
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
one generous handful of chopped walnuts

2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. dry white wine
2 tbsp. olive oil or sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the kale thinly into strips. Put into a large bowl and add the beet, carrot, onion and walnuts. Toss to combine.

Whisk together the vinegar through the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the kale mixture and toss to coat. Toss every 15 minutes or so for the first hour. Then, toss once an hour until ready to serve. It will take a couple of hours to wilt, and it tastes even better the next day. Serve cold or at room temperature.

2 comments:

Ina said...

This sounds delicious! Love love beets and greens! I have not felt like baking either, and Christmas is around the corner...I must get my act together. At least you have a legitimate reason...think I am just being lazy! :)

Erin said...

Sometimes lazy is good. :)