Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, April 6, 2012

A Gringa's Homemade Salsa

I love salsa. However, the stuff you can buy in stores is much too watery for Navajo Tacos. So I made my own. I tried to follow a friend's directions for making it from memory...all I remember was him saying "throw in a little of this and a pinch of that". As a native Californian, he's more authentic in the Mex arena than I am (ye olde Yankee). I went with my memory anyway. It turned out pretty good. Even my friend who grew up on a cattle ranch in Hill Country and ate Mexican food made by Mexicans her whole life thought my salsa was fairly decent. So there...even a Yank can make a half-decent salsa. I'm feeling like less and less of an imposter as the years go on!

6 ripe Roma tomatoes, or 1 dry pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 medium minced shallot
1 small jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced (or more to taste)
juice of 1/2 lime, plus more to taste
salt to taste
a couple of shakes of Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce to taste

Wash, halve and gut the tomatoes (I like using yellow tomatoes). Chop them and put them into a medium bowl. Add the cilantro, shallot, jalepeno, lime juice, salt and Tabasco. Toss and taste. Adjust the lime, salt and jalepeno to suit your tastes. Make a couple of hours ahead of time, tossing at regular intervals. Serve the same day you make it.

3 comments:

Ina said...

Yummmmm...there is nothing better than homemade Salsa, love it!

Melly said...

Just found your blog. Recommitting to cooking for my ASD and ADHD boys. Thanks!

Erin said...

Hi Ina - yes, homemade always tastes better than store bought! :)

Hi Melly - thanks for your comment. I hope you find lots here you like!