Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Creamy Cucumber Salad

 
For your consideration today:  Creamy Cucumber Salad.  My mom used to make this all the time with sour cream.    It is just as good with coconut cream (maybe even better).

1 small English Cucumber (seedless), washed and thinly sliced
1/3 cup coconut cream
2 tbsp. white or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. dried dill, if desired

Put the cucumber slices in a medium bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut cream through the dill.  Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking (I like to add a smidge more vinegar).  Add the cream mixture to the cucumber mixture and toss to coat.  Toss every so often for a couple of hours before serving cold.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Coconut cream works wonders, doesn't it? I've done a similar salad but with shredded carrots. Why didn't I think of cucumbers? :)

P. said...

No, really?! I have missed this kind of cucumber salad since being dairy free. I am going to have to try this soon. Thanks! (PS-You're talking about the thick stuff at the top of the can of coconut milk, right?)

Erin said...

Nicole - I *love* coconut cream. I'm going to have to try your shredded carrot salad, that sounds good!

P. - I've missed it too...for like 4 years! I can't believe it took me so long to think of the coconut cream! And yes, I'm talking about the thick stuff on top of the can of coconut milk. Save the watery stuff at the bottom for baking!

Ina said...

Sounds delicious Erin! We grew up on a salad very similar to this one too - coconut cream would be even better!