Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Temptation Cookies

It was my pleasure, this past school semester, to teach a home economics type of class at the girls' school.  I had so much fun!  The students told me they had fun too, and they didn't even complain when I gave them "homework" to do over the summer - to practice all the things we learned in class!  One of the components of the class was baking.  I searched for the easiest, least fussy, tastiest looking chocolate chip cookie recipe I could find, and landed on this one at Smitten Kitchen.  I modified it a smidge and we made it in class.  The cookies looked mouthwatering, but I could not confirm their delicousness myself (they were not gluten free, alas).  However I got very positive feedback about them from the general school population (including "these are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever tasted!").  

Meeting such success, I promptly went home and made the cookies gluten free and vegan (would you expect anything less?).  I'm sorry there is no picture.  I took one and downloaded it but then we suspected our computer hosted a Trojan and DH rebuilt it just to be safe and in the ensuing scramble the picture disappeared.  I'll take one as soon as I can and post it, but until then, please take my word for it - these cookies are indeed crispy and chewy, especially right out of the oven.  I can usually exercise self-control when it comes to sweets, but I'll admit to indulging in these cookies.    Truthfully, it's a good thing girls and DH polished them off quickly and saved me from prolonged temptation!

Temptation Cookies
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

2 cups plus 2 tbsp. GF flour blend (I used this one)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut milk
2/3 cup lightly packed packed brown sugar
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

 In a medium bowl, sift together the flour through the xanthan gum, set aside.  In a large bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, brown sugar, powdered sugar and vanilla together until the mixture resembles thick caramel.  Stir in the and applesauce, mixing well.  

Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until blended.  Add another tablespoon or two of your flour blend if the mixture seems too wet.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.  Leave two inches between the cookies to allow for spreading.

Bake about 12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.  Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with remaining cookie dough.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

Krisco said...

These are so good! They remind me of a gluten-free version of Mrs Field's cookies!

Erin said...

That's great! I'm glad you like them. :)