Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, July 2, 2012

Quinoa Jam Bars

Recently as I was perusing the gluten-free grocery aisle, I happened upon a bag of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour.  I was intrigued, but not enough to fork over $6 for a bag of it.  That seems expensive to me, but maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places.  I did, however, jot down the recipe for Raspberry Oatmeal Bars on the back of the bag.  And then instead of buying the expensive oats, I bought a box of quinoa flakes that were on sale, and went home to make some Quinoa Jam Bars based on Bob's recipe.  They turned out so good I've since made several batches of it, and the girls have yet to get bored with them.  Any jam or preserve will work here, but I'm partial to strawberry.  Very soon, I will try fig jam and with luck, will be reminded of Fig Newtons (I sure do miss those!).


1 1/2 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)*
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup palm shortening or Earth Balance Soy-Free Margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

2/3 cup jam of your choice
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease the bottom and sides of one 8x8 inch baking pan with a little shortening or margarine.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour through the salt.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy.  Add the flour mixture and blend well.  The mixture will look clumpy.  Reserve one generous cup of this mixture.  Press the rest evenly into the prepared baking dish with your hands.

Combine the jam and lemon juice.  Spread the jam mixture over top of the dough in the baking dish.  Take the reserved dough and rub between your fingers to evenly cover the jam.  Bake 20 - 25 minutes until light brown and firm.  Cool before cutting into squares to serve.

*I made these for a friend who can't do sorghum.  For the flour blend I substituted 1/4 cup millet flour, 1/4 cup quinoa flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, , 6 tbsp. potato starch and 6 tbsp. buckwheat flour.  I added 2 tbsp. or so of hemp milk to the batter because it was too dry.  These changes made the bars heartier and a little less sweet, which I liked.

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - these sound fabulous! Ohhh how I miss Fig Newtons! Your bars sound like a square I used to make years ago with Oats. Quinoa Flakes are such a great substitute!

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina. We need to find a way to make our own Fig Newtons! I like these bars with quinoa, they taste nutty, almost like peanut butter. :)