Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Fried Okra (Gluten Free & Vegan)

I know.  I swore I would never eat okra, and here I am posting a recipe for fried okra.  But I am a practical person, and this weekend found freshly picked okra on the counter, staring at me.  Daring me.  DH went to a friend's community garden plot to help harvest veggies and came home with the long green pods.  They were fresh, organic and free.  So I swallowed my pride and cooked okra for dinner.  


Turns out, fried okra is pretty good as long as the coating is crunchy!  I was able to achieve a fabulously crispy coating with coconut milk and millet flour that a fried okra eating friend said was really yummy.  She and Anna liked theirs plain, Megan liked hers with ketchup, and DH and I liked ours with hot sauce.  To each their own!

Fried Okra
fresh okra, stems removed, chopped into bite-sized chunks
lite coconut milk
lemon juice
millet flour
salt
cayenne pepper   
a few cups of canola oil

First, heat the oil in a fryer (oil level should be to the fryer's specifications) or a dutch oven over medium heat to 375 degrees.  Meanwhile, stir together the coconut milk (about 1/2 can) with a splash of lemon juice.  Working in batches, toss the okra in the coconut milk mixture and let it sit for a couple of minutes.  The coconut milk will get thick thanks to okra's thickening properties - no egg needed here!

In a separate dish, whisk together about two cups of millet flour with some salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and some cayenne pepper if desired (about 1/4 teaspoon).  Toss the coconut milk-soaked okra with the millet flour mixture, coating the okra well.  Fry the okra in batches in the hot oil until it looks crispy and golden brown, about 4 minutes.  Drain the okra on paper towels, sprinkle with a little salt if needed, and serve hot. 

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin....yummm another hot climate growing vegetable. I love Okra. It is fabulous in soups and stews too. Lucky you!

Erin said...

Hi Ina...I've never had okra other than fried, and I'm afraid to try it any other way! Maybe one day I'll get brave and throw it in some soup too. :)