Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Crock Pot Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)


 (This dish looks like it took all day to cook, no?  But it didn't!  My crock pot strikes again!)

School has started for the year.  I'd say this begins my busy season, but I was pretty busy all summer long.  However, I was home more this summer and will be home less this school year.  So this year will see heavy use of my crock pot!

To start the school year I thought a fairly spiffy dinner would be in order.  I had made this Arroz Con Pollo dish a little while ago on the stove top and it turned out really, really good.  I wanted to do this in the crock pot too, so here's my take on it.  I love this dish with big stuffed green olives but left them out this time in deference to the girls.  They already whimper about little tomato bits in their food - why provoke them further with big green olives?  I really do recommend the olives, though, they add a nice touch.  I got something green into the girls in the end...sliced avocado on top of the rice and roasted broccoli on the side!

 (So easy, so lovely, cooked without intervention or supervision...a sight that makes this busy mom smile.)

Crock Pot Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)

3 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups long grain brown rice
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I like salsa style!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 - 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces, bones in and skins on, fat trimmed, rinsed and patted dry
several whole green pimento stuffed olives, if desired

Heat the 3 tbsp. olive oil in a heavy pan or dutch oven over medium-low.  Add the rice, onion and garlic, stirring until the rice is browned and the onion is beginning to soften.  Scrape the rice mixture into a crock pot.  Set the pan aside.

In a bowl, combine the chicken stock through the oregano and stir to combine.  Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture, pour the rest over the rice in the crock pot and stir to combine.

Return the pan to the heat and add the 2 tbsp. of olive oil.  Brown the chicken pieces on all sides.  Place the chicken pieces, skin-side up, on top of the rice mixture in the crock pot.  Pour the 1/2 cup of reserved chicken stock mixture over the chicken.  Scatter several olives over all.  Cover and cook on low 6 - 8 hours or on high 3 - 4 hours, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork.

6 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - this sounds delicious! A must try for those busy days!

Erin said...

Hi Ina, this really is good. DH really likes the rice!

TK Kenyon said...

Hi Erin!

Every time I hit your blog, I just sit here and think, "Yuuuuuum. Yuuuuuu-uuuu-uuum."

TK

Erin said...

Thanks, TK! :)

Lisa Garrigan said...

Am I missing something? What do you do with the wine and tomatoes? Just add them in the crock pot?

Erin said...

Hi Lisa, when I say "combine the chicken stock through the oregano", it means to add the chicken stock, the oregano, and everything in between - which includes the tomatoes, salt, smoked paprika and black pepper. Does that help?