Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ina's Clam Alfredo Sauce (Gluten, Dairy and Soy Free))


I check my Reader in Blogger every day, hungering for new ideas and inspirations.  One of the blogs I follow is Ina's at Gluten Free Delightfully Delicious.  She makes every day, accessible, totally fabulous looking fresh food that I drool over on a regular basis.  I checked my Reader yesterday and what to my wondering eyes should appear was Ina's version of a Clam Alfredo Sauce.  You guys - I have not had Alfredo Sauce in years.  And I've had a can of clams sitting on my counter for a week.  And I just bought penne.  I love it when the stars align like that.  Ina uses an SCD whipping cream and dairy, which I cannot do being dairy-free.  But her recipe looked like it would adapt very well to being dairy free.

This clam Alfredo Sauce knocks my socks off.  I cannot stop tasting it.  It's really good, very creamy and a little rich but not evil.  It's good over pasta, but I'm trying to be mindful of my carb intake, so next time I make it I'll use grated zucchini  or spaghetti squash.  I love the way this tastes and I love the fact that it's also very economical (I am very mindful of our budget now that we have a car payment, ugh).  I love this sauce.  Here is my version.  The measurements are all approximate as I didn't measure anything (it's a school night, you know), but I think it's a forgiving sauce and holds up well to "a pinch of this and a little of that", which only makes me love it more.

 Ooo la la, so fancy looking, but shhhh!  Don't tell anyone, it's very easy!


1 - 2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 of a medium onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
a good glug of dry white wine - at least 1/4 cup
a splash of lemon juice - a good couple of teaspoons
coconut cream skimmed from 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
a dash of dried parsley
a pinch of dried thyme
a shake of black pepper
one 6oz can of chopped clams, with juice reserved
Daiya mozzarella cheese, about 1/3 cup
one 8oz box dried pasta, such as penne

Boil water for the penne, and prepare according to package instructions.

While the penne is cooking, heat the olive oil in in a skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes, until it begins to soften.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add the wine and scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook a few minutes until the wine reduces by about half.  Add the lemon juice, cook for about a half a minute, then add the coconut cream.  Bring to a simmer, then stir in the parsley, thyme and pepper.  Add the reserved clam juice and heat to a simmer.  Add the clams and the Daiya and heat just until the Daiya is melted.  Turn off the heat and adjust the seasonings.  You probably won't need to add salt as the clam juice is already salty.  Serve hot over penne.

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - wow that looks fabulous! What a great dairy alternative to this recipe....I could dive right in...Yumm!

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina! :)