Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fried Cauliflower with Garlic Dip

There is a Mediterranean bistro close to where we live that serves the most excellent cauliflower.  For the longest time I could not figure out how they did it, and then a friend told me they fried it.  I couldn't believe it!  My favorite dish was evil in disguise.  I shunned it for years, thinking of all those fat calories and how they would likely end up on my hips.  But then I decided to make it, because every once in awhile fried food really hits the spot.  And this dish is really yummy, definitely worth splurging for!  When I make it, I also serve butternut fries and french fries...because why not?  The twice a year I make this can't hurt too much, right?


For the Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower, rinsed and chopped into bite-sized florets
canola oil for frying
salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil.  Add the cauliflower and cook until only just fork-tender.  Drain immediately.  Allow to air-dry completely.  Or if you don't want to boil the cauliflower, you can steam it until just fork-tender.

When the cauliflower is dry, heat the oil for frying (about 360 degrees).  Fry the florets in batches until they turn golden brown, this will only take a couple of minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  Toss with salt and pepper and serve hot with garlic dip.

For the Garlic Dip
1/2 cup mayonnaise, or 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup coconut milk yogurt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cloves of garlic, minced (or more if desired)

Combine all ingredients, adjusting the lemon juice, salt and garlic to taste.

No comments: