Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Gluten Free & Vegan - Pecan Pie!



Here it is - my second pecan pie ever, and my first gluten free and vegan one!  I have got to run out the door to get to work, but I wanted to post this quickly before Thanksgiving.  I have never before liked pecan pie, it was always much too cloyingly sweet for me.  This pecan pie is sweet, but not overpoweringly sweet.  It is really, really good.  This pie was a team effort - the girls picked pecans from our yard, DH cracked them open, and I made the pie.  The original recipe can be found here at Go Dairy Free, I only made a few small adjustments.



1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup brown rice syrup or agave nectar
3/4 cup maple syrup
4 tbsp. Earth Balance dairy-free, soy-free margarine or coconut oil
3/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Gluten Free, Vegan Pie Crust 
pinch salt
2 cups broken pecans
about 100 whole pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.   In a small saucepan, heat the brown sugar, rice syrup and maple syrup to a simmer.  Simmer a few minutes, until the brown sugar has dissolved.  Turn off the heat and add the margarine, stir to melt.  Then add the applesauce and vanilla and stir to combine.  Set aside to cool.

While the applesauce mixture is cooling, make your pie crust.  Line a pie plate with pastry crust and flute edges as desired.  Fill the pie shell with the broken pecans.  Pour the applesauce mixture over the pecans.  Place the whole pecans in a circular pattern on top of the pecan filling.

Place the pie in the oven and reduce the heat to 350 degrees. Bake about 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown (the mixture will be hot and bubbly).  Let sit overnight.  Serve at room temperature and enjoy!

4 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - such a gorgeous pie! How lucky to have a pecan tree...I would be in heaven!

Nicole said...

Awesome Erin! I used the Aunt Bonnie's recipe today and the pie looks so good. I will have to try your subs next time to nix the corn syrup, which I usually avoid but hey, it's Thanksgiving and I still have yet to find a vegan pumpkin pie I like so a pecan pie is second in tradition. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Erin said...

Hi Ina, thanks, I was very happy with how the pie turned out. And yes, the pecan tree is nice until you have to run outside in bare feet in autumn, those nut shells hurt!

Erin said...

Hi Nicole, I just made GF vegan pumpkin pie tonight! I will post the recipe tomorrow! I'm waiting for it to firm up before slicing. Happy Thanksgiving!