Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gluten Free & Vegan - Pumpkin Pie!

 

Happy Thanksgiving!  I ended up making pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas!  It's only taken me oh... two years of egg-free baking to get up to this, as I had very strong opinions about what My Mom's Pumpkin Pie should taste like.  There could be no tofu, as we are soy-free.  I didn't want to use flours like buckwheat or millet or even flax to thicken it - I wanted to to be as silky smooth and as close to the original as possible.  I considered gelatin or agar powder, but then I ran across two recipes using arrowroot powder (check out Oh She Glows for vegan pumpkin pie and Good Good Things for vegan pumpkin pudding).  And I thought arrowroot might work well.  So I reworked my mom's recipe (again).  And it came out really good - not gritty, not runny, and without a floury mouthfeel.  It tastes just like my mom's pie.  Happy day!  Happy Thanksgiving!

(My pumpkin pies are always dark because I use molasses.  It just does not taste like pumpkin pie to me without the molasses in it.  If you don't like a dark pie, substitute maple syrup instead.)


1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (one 15oz. can solid packed pumpkin)
1/2 cup brown sugar
*1 cup coconut cream (taken from 1 can full-fat coconut milk)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp. molasses
3 tbsp. arrowroot starch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 Gluten Free, Vegan Pie Crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   While the oven is heating, make your pie crust.  Line a pie plate with the pie pastry and flute edges as desired.  Set aside.

To a food processor or blender add the pumpkin, brown sugar, coconut cream, maple syrup, molasses, arrowroot, cinnamon, ginger, salt and allspice.  Process until smooth and completely blended.

Pour the pie filling into the prepared pie plate and smooth out the top.  Place the pie in the oven and bake about 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the edges of the pie appear set.  The center of the pie will not be set, it will jiggle a little bit.  Cool on a wire rack to room temperature, then place in the refrigerator.  Refrigerate until the pie is firm, several hours to overnight.  Bring back to room temperature before serving (or serve cold if you like).

*Make sure you only get the coconut cream from the can, the thick stuff.  You can refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight if needed.  Save the leftover liquid in the can for baking.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Brilliant! We are dairy,gluten,corn,soy, nut, shellfish,seed, and high histamine free :-) I have enjoyed your blog.

We have been making chickpea nofu. I have found that if you sift the chickpea flour and only use the finest flour it makes a fine "nofu"

We can use eggs but she cannot eat beef,pork etc either so always looking for ways to add protein.

I have made a "fake" nut butter out of it, in ice cream instead of eggs, bacon, wonderful stuff! :-)

http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.blogspot.com/2012/08/chickpea-nofu.html

Erin said...

Hi Diane, thanks for your comment. I am so going to try your nofu! It sounds like it would be a wonderful substitute for eggs in baking! Happy Thanksgiving!