Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

White Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes


We are gearing up for Thanksgiving in our house.  By gearing up I mean, I'm working longer hours at the store because 'tis the season, I have not gone grocery shopping or thought too terribly much about Thanksgiving dinner, and I keep fantasizing about making a gluten free and vegan pumpkin pie that does not rely on a lot of flour of any type to thicken it.  I doubt the pumpkin pie will happen until Christmas, but I am hopeful that gluten free and vegan pecan pie will happen for Thanksgiving (wish me luck, I hope to post my success before the holiday).  I have the next two days off, which will give me a chance to play!

So gearing up for Thanksiving in our house means eating light several days preceding...not that our Thanksgiving dinner will be rich, on the contrary we plan to keep it simple, but it just seems like the thing to do...plus, I'm too busy working to make a fuss about meals at home right now.  This soup is nice and simple, and very satisfying too.  The original recipe can be found in Claire's Corner Copia cookbook. It's garlicky and very slightly sweet. Serve with a salad and Tomato Rosemary Muffins to make a quick, light meal.

3 cups cooked white beans (cannellini or great northern)
1 bay leaf
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock or vegetable broth over medium heat.  Add 1 1/2 cups of the white beans and mash them.  Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of white beans, the bay leave, and the sweet potato.  Bring just to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer.

While the beans are simmering, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add the onion and the garlic.  Cook until the onion is soft and the mixture is fragrant.  Scrape the onion mixture into the white bean mixture.  Add the parsley through the pepper.  Continue simmering until the sweet potato is soft and fully cooked, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.  Remove the bay leaf, adjust salt and pepper to taste, and serve.  Serves 4.

No comments: