Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, December 10, 2012

Romeo's Bruschetta Topping

It got cold here!  Last weekend it was 80 degrees, and this morning we woke up to snow.  My blood must be thinning because I'm starting to complain about 40 degree weather.  DH flaunts his "I grew up in northern Vermont" style by running around in this weather in shorts...out of spite, I think.  But I bundle up, and the girls more than me (hats and scarves and the works...it's not that cold).  All our old wool sweaters and socks still lie in storage, unused year after year.  I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.  We bought our house here, in West Nile Virus central, but I'll be darned if I let go of my last grips on home...all our fine wool sweaters.  I still run out of the house every morning with a wet head, too.  My mom used to get so upset when I did that.  Sorry, Mom, I have not outgrown that one.  It's still interesting to have your wet hair freeze, and then shake your head to listen to the hair icicles tinkle like Christmas.

When DH was in grad school, we lived in a small city where we could walk to everything we needed.  It was fabulous.  He walked to school, I walked to work, we walked for blocks just for fun, looking at all the old houses that surrounded the university.  We could walk to a little Italian market only 6 blocks away that had beautiful produce and the best deli in town.  I was addicted to their spinach bread, or whatever it was in Italian they called it...garlicky, olive oily spinach baked in a bread wrap...I lived for that stuff when I was pregnant with Anna.  I was also a slave to their bruschetta...thick slices of Italian bread untoasted, topped with a juicy tomato garlicky mixture. The juices from the topping would soak into the bread - nothing we had tasted before then was  so divine.  We got a blizzard one year, the snow was coming down too fast to take the car out even 6 blocks and we needed some stuff like bread and milk and something for dinner.  So I strapped on my boots and heavy winter coat, grabbed my backpack, and hiked to the Italian store in 6 inch snow.  By the time I got home, the snow was knee-deep.  The spinach bread and bruschetta were worth it.

I miss Romeo's spinach bread - I'll have to recreate that someday.  I no longer have to miss Romeo's bruschetta...I have recreated that. The original had chunks of mozzerella cheese in it, but chunks of Daiya Jack would work just as well. This is good served over slices of French Bread (gluten free, of course!) over top of pasta, in salad, on crackers, or plain by the spoonful.   I served this to friends this weekend with toasted french bread and it went so fast I never got pictures!

Bruschetta Topping

several fresh, ripe tomatoes
1/4 of one medium onion, chopped fine
2 tbsp. thinly sliced fresh basil or more to taste
1 large clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the tops off the tomatoes and squeeze out the seeds. Dice tomatoes, which should equal about 3 cups, and throw them in a bowl along with the onion, basil and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until juicy. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve.

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin...sounds delicious! Anything Italian has me drooling...I would walk in knee deep snow to for something that tasty!

Erin said...

Ina, it is a very simple topping but oh, so yummy. I'd walk knee-deep in snow over and over for that stuff!