Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies


Every few months a Penzey's Spices catalog appears in the mail.  I love flipping through them to see what regular folk are cooking and baking in their homes - Penzey's features family recipes with family stories to go along with them.  It's interesting to see how people all over the country cook.  I'll rip out recipes that look good and save them in a haphazard pile in a closet for later.  But when I saw a recipe for Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies, I ripped it out and sat it on the counter so it stared at me until I made it - it looked too delicious to get lost in my pile.  

I modified the original recipe to be gluten free and vegan.  Quite honestly, I don't know why the eggs are in there in the first place, as sweet potato can easily be a substitute for eggs.  But then, I realize I can be annoying like that  - why is it done this way, when it can be done another way just as well or better I'll do it my way!  Use this!  Substitute that!  Mix it up!  See what happens!  These cookies?  Well, they are mouthwatering.  Super yummy.  Irreverently egg-freely delicious.  I love that.  I love these cookies.  So does my family.  And this is my new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!


Sweet Potato Chocolate  Chip Cookies  
Gluten Free & Vegan

 2 cups GF flour blend (I used this one)
1 tbsp. flax meal
1 1/8 tsp. baking soda*
1 1/8 tsp. baking powder*
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 cup canola or grapeseed oil
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract

 3/4 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour through the cinnamon.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together the canola or grapeseed oil, brown sugar and white sugar until the mixture resembles caramel.  Add the sweet potato, applesauce and vanilla and mix well.  

Pour the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and stir well to combine.  If the mixture seems too wet, add another tablespoon of flax meal.  Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for a minute before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.  Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

*I always eyeball this as a generous teaspoon, and if you are comfortable doing that, then go ahead and add a generous tsp. without worrying about measuring the 1/8 tsp.  But if you are like DH and hate flying by the seat of your pants like that, then use the exact measurements.  It's all good.

2 comments:

DI said...

My 7 yr old son with ASD has been very interested in baking these days. We made these together and they were out of the world! Thanks for sharing this reciepe

Erin said...

Thanks for your comment, DI. I'm glad you liked them! I can't stay away from them, myself.