Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Favorite Millet Pilaf


I have recently made a millet pilaf that I really like - my favorite by far.  I'm throwing up the recipe now before I forget what I did!

1 cup millet
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
fresh chopped parsley, if desired
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth

First, heat a dry skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-low heat.  Add the millet and toast, stirring often to prevent burning, until fragrant - about 5 minutes.  Add the water and salt, stir, and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until all the liquid is aborbed.  Turn off the heat.
 
While the millet is cooking, heat the olive oil in a separate skillet.  Add the onion through the celery and cook until soft, stirring often.  Add the salt, pepper, and thyme and cook until fragrant.  Turn off the heat.
 

When the millet is cooked, add it to the onion mixture and stir to combine.  Add parsely if desired.  Stir in the chicken or vegetable broth, mixing well.  Adjust seasonings as desired.  Serve warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking for your millet pilaf recipe and found it - also found highly amusing the wording you used as a introduction: "I'm throwing up the recipe now..." Didn't catch that the first time around - thanks for the chuckle!
Mom

Erin said...

That's funny! I didn't even think about how that wording would sound! I'm glad you laughed...but I think I'll have to change it...