Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Leftover Turkey (or Chicken) Fricassee

It is springtime.  The weather is warming, the flowers are blooming, the trees are budding, the robbins are hopping around the yard, and all that good stuff.  And I still have a pile of recipes left to post from fall and winter.  Here is one for Turkey Fricassee.

Although I love turkey and look forward to roasting one for the holidays every year, I never did buy one for the holidays this year - I wanted a natural one (no additives, minimally processed, etc.) but was unwilling to spend a lot to get one.  Last year I was able to buy one for .99/lb on sale, but this year the sale prices only went down to $2.49/lb.  I know they are worth it, it's just that our budget won't allow it.  Sadly, I roasted a chicken instead.  So imagine my excitement when right before the new year, I managed to score a 10 pound natural turkey for .49/lb! Costco apparently had a surplus and wanted to get rid of them. I happily helped them do that.  

I always brine turkeys before roasting them, and sometimes chickens if I have the time.  It keeps the meat moist, gravy made from the drippings is out of this world and  the leftovers taste fabulous.  Unsurprisingly, a fricasee made from leftover brined turkey is delicious.  This is the fricassee I remember my Nanny making from leftover chicken (modified a bit of course).  Serve it over rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, quinoa, toast - whatever your heart desires.  I served ours over millet pilaf.  DH was honestly enthusiastic about leftover Leftover Turkey Fricassee for lunch the next day- honestly, sometimes the best meals are simple and frugal!


leftover turkey (or chicken) meat, chopped - at least a couple of cups
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, mined
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp. arrowroot starch
dash of pepper
1 1/2 cups turkey (or chicken) broth, divided
1/2 cup coconut cream (skimmed from one can of full-fat coconut milk)
splash of lemon juice
shake of parsely
pinch of thyme


Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.  Add the turkey and brown, then remove to a bowl and set aside.  To the skillet add the onion and cook until soft.  Add the garlic and cook one minute more.  Add the wine and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan.  Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the pan.  Into the reserved 1/2 cup of chicken broth, whisk in the tablespoon of arrowroot until smooth.  Add to the pan and stir until thick.  Add the coconut cream, lemon juice, parsely and thyme.  Bring just to a simmer.  Add the turkey and heat through.  Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.  Serve hot.

The other day made an even simpler fricassee.  I roasted a brined chicken.  I saved the drippings along with some leftover meat.  The next day, I threw the drippings in a cast-iron skillet, whisked in a tablespoon of arrowroot flour, added a little chicken broth to thin, threw in some chopped chicken, heated through and added some frozen peas.  It didn't need any seasoning at all, and it was delicious. 

No comments: