Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Easy Waffles (Gluten Free & Vegan)

 (The waffles are vegan but the bacon is not.  For vegan bacon, check out these very interesting recipes - 

The other day it occured to me that I have not made waffles in a really long time. Like years.  So long that the girls  had no memory of them - "what are waffles?", they asked.  I had to remedy that and fast.  I waited so long mistakenly thinking that good waffles cannot be made without eggs.  Silly me.  These gluten free and vegan waffles (based on this recipe here) are simply fabulous - light and fluffy and crispy around the edges.  DH and the kids raved about these waffles over dinner tonight.  Mommy scores again!

1 1/2 cups GF flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

3/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat your waffle maker.  In a large bowl, sift together the flour through the cinnamon.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple juice through the vanilla.  Add the wet mixture all at once to the dry mixture and stir until combined - the batter will be a little lumpy, this is fine.  Let the batter rest for a couple of minutes.  Pour the batter onto the waffle maker according to package directions and cook until golden brown.  Repeat.  Serve hot with fresh fruit.  Makes 4 belgian waffles.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Mmm... I may have to invest in a waffle iron again! It is funny what is and is not a special treat with our kids. We made french toast today and my kids too were like, "what that?" They devoured it!

Erin said...

Oh, french toast! That's another thing I have not made in forever. Thanks for the reminder, I'm sure my kids have forgotten what it is too!