Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Blondies (Gluten Free & Vegan)

My mind is full of dreams and thoughts that swirl and dart and fade and congregate, over and over.  I'm percolating.  And while I percolate, I bake.  There is a rhythm to baking that frees my mind to chase the thoughts where they will go.  Eventually they will coalesce and I'll write them down.  Until then, I bake.

This recipe for Blondies originally comes from Better Homes and Gardens.  I made them recently with my high school class and they looked delectable.  I was jealous.  So I made my own.



Gluten Free, Vegan Blondies

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups GF flour blend 
1 tbsp. flax meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line one 8x11 inch baking dish with tin foil.  Grease the tin foil with baking spray, set aside.

In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, canola oil and applesauce.  Heat over medium-low until the mixture is smooth.  Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, flax meal, baking powder and baking soda.  Pour the brown sugar mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.  Scatter the chocolate chips evenly across the top of the batter, then press them lightly into the batter with your hands.  Bake  about 25 minutes, or until the sides pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  Lift out the bars by the tin foil, peel the tin foil away from the sides, and cut into squares to serve.  You could use parchment paper instead of tin foil if you like.

4 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - these blondies look delicious - a perfect snack when craving chocolate!

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina. They sure do hit the spot! :)

Anonymous said...

Perculating...I love the image that evokes!

Erin said...

Thanks - me too!