Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sourdough Sandwich Bread

 

Here it is, as promised - Sourdough Bread.  I love this stuff.  It's so easy to make, it requires no eggs (and hence, no egg substitute - the first truly GF Vegan bread I've tried), and the whole family loves it.  Before going gluten free, I did not like sourdough bread even a little bit.  I didn't know what all the fuss was about.  Regular bread was okay, but nothing to jump up and down about.  Now I can't walk down the bread aisle in the grocery store without gagging at the smell and I can't get enough of this GF sourdough bread.  Go figure.
Our bread machine bit the dust last month and I've dragged my feet about making bread in the oven.  While it can be done, there are more steps to the process and I've been just tired and frazzled enough to not want to be bothered (terrible, I know).  But making this sourdough bread is a breeze.  I can throw everything in the stand mixer and it comes together in just a few minutes. Then it rises on the counter for an hour and I throw it in the oven, all while keeping busy with other things.  It doesn't take much thought, which I love because  my mind is in a constant state of being seriously preoccupied.  Lately I just need things to be mindless and easy.  This bread is mindless and easy, and tasty to boot.  It smells heavenly while baking (slightly tangy) and it has a subtle bite that becomes addicting.

Happily, one loaf of sourdough bread lasts us a whole week.  It's hearty, so I slice it thin, and it keeps well in the refrigerator.  It's fabulous with margarine either warm or cold.  I look forward to making it every weekend, and that is saying a lot.  I did my own thing after looking for guidance here and here and my bread turns out fabulous.  I can't be bothered with boules right now - what we need is a standard loaf for school lunches, but if you are feeling adventurous try the boule method described here.


And now without further ado - Sourdough Sandwich Bread, worth it every time.

1 cup sorghum flour*
1 cup brown rice flour*
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup potato starch
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast

2 cups fed sourdough starter
1/4 cup oil - olive, grapeseed or coconut
1 cup warm water, plus more if needed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Generously grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan with shortening, set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift together the sorghum flour through the yeast.  Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the sourdough starter and the oil.  Mix until combined, it will be dry.  Add trhe water 1/4 cup at a time until the mixture resembles a thick cake batter.  You may need to add more warm water to get it to the correct consistency.  Beat 5 minutes.


Scrape the batter into the greased loaf pan and smooth out the top, mounding a little in the center.  Set aside in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes to one hour.  It will dome just a little above the top of the pan.  Carefully place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 45 - 60 minutes, or until golden brown.  It is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.  

Remove from oven, let rest for a couple of minutes and then turn out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.  You must let it cool!  Resist the temptation to cut a slice no matter how good it smells, or you will end up with gummy slices of bread (so not worth it!).  


After it is cool, do what you like...you could scarf down the whole loaf and I would not blame you one bit, it is that good.

*I've used equal amounts of sorghum, rice and millet flours with success.  I've also used 3 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Baking Blend (replace sorghum flour through potato starch) - while less tangy, it makes a very pretty loaf.

4 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - this bread looks and sounds fabulous...I can't wait to try when I have some time on my hands to make the sour dough starter. Thank you for sharing! :)

Erin said...

I hope you have some time soon, Ina. You sound too busy! :)

Sandra McG said...

Hi,
I am just discovering this recipe and I wondered if the brown rice flour could be replaced with millet flour? I am slightly reactive to brown rice so it's not an ingredient I can use. The bread looks great and I am very interested in trying it!

Erin said...

Hi Sanda, I think you could use millet flour and be just fine. Good luck!