Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, December 23, 2013

Pecan Tassies, Gluten Free & Vegan


Pecan Tassies are one of my favorite holiday treats and one I have not had in 6 years, since going gluten and casein free.  Some people cheat for foods they love, but I never do.  The results are just not worth it.  For me, no food is worth a migraine, or bloating, or IBS, or itchy skin, or drop-dead exhaustion.    I've kept my old recipe, however, in hopes that one day, someone would come up with a casein-free cream cheese.  Finally, Daiya has done that!  Happy Day!  In truth, I don't care for the cream cheese by itself or on crackers or bagels.  It has a hint of sweetness that I don't care for, but this is probably because I still remember what dairy cream cheese tastes like.  The girls really like Daiya's cream cheeses on crackers and bagels.  However, I love baking with the plain cream cheese.  And honestly, it makes my Pecan Tassies divine.  I love them now more than ever in all their gluten free, casein free, egg free glory.  Because they are egg free, they don't have that crispy sugary skin on the top, but I really don't mind at all.  It's just super great to finally enjoy Pecan Tassies that are safe for everyone in my family.  I'll tell you they did not last long at all.  I need to make more!

Pecan Tassies, Gluten Free & Vegan

Crust
1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
3 tbsp. Daiya Plain Cream Cheese
1 cup GF flour blend

Beat the margarine and cream cheese until smooth.  Add the flour and beat until well combined.  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.

Filling
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch salt
1/2 cup ground pecans

Whilte the dough is chilling, stir together the brown sugar through the salt and mix until well combined.  Add the ground nuts and stir.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease a mini muffin tin with margarine, set aside.

Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator.  Form the dough into 1 inch balls and press into the muffin cups evenly over the bottom and up the sides.  Spoon about a teaspoon of the filling into each muffin cup (filling should not reach more than 3/4 of the way up).  Bake until set, about 25 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then remove the cookies from the pan onto a wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - these look fabulous! I must look for Daiya cream cheese - it would probably be wonderful for a cheese cake too. :)

Erin said...

Thanks, Ina. :) One of these days I'll have to try a cheese cake!