Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Friday, January 3, 2014

Nori Wrapped Asian Marinated Salmon

For Christmas, DH and I received some Forbidden Rice - a black rice that retains a deep purple color throughout the grain even after being cooked.  The color made me think of seaweed, which set off a search for Asian staples in my pantry and chain of thoughts that ended up in this dinner - Nori Wrapped Asian Marinated Salmon, steamed broccoli, black rice, and Vegetable Summer Rolls with Peanut Free, Soy Free Dipping Sauce.  I also included UnSoy Ginger Dipping Sauce on the table as a replacement for soy sauce for those who were so inclined.  It was a fabulous dinner.  

Most recipes for Asian marinades I found had either soy sauce or hoisin in the ingredients, but I found one here that looked agreeable to modification.  I found good instructions for wrapping the salmon in nori sheets here.  The salmon was excellent - everyone loved it (even cold the next day!).  I did not get pictures that do the salmon justice, but next time I make this dish, I'll post prettier pictures.

Nori Wrapped Salmon hot out of the oven.

Nori Wrapped Asian Marinated Salmon

For the Marinade:
1/3 cup coconut aminos
2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. dried lemongrass or 1 stalk fresh lemongrass (see how-to here)
2 tbsp. mirin
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. maple syrup

Whisk together all ingredients until well blended.


To assemble the salmon:
1.25 - 1.50 pound pound salmon filet, bones removed
nori sheets

Remove the skin from the salmon and cut into equal portions (see how-to here).  Place the salmon in a large zip-lock bag, pour the marinade into the bag and seal, making sure salmon is thoroughly coated with marinade.  Marinate 4 - 6 hours, turning every 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.  Have your nori sheets and salmon portions ready to assemble.  Place a nori sheet on a cutting board or other flat surface.  Place a piece of salmon, skinned side up, onto a sheet of nori.  Fold long ends over the salmon one at a time, then tuck short sides under and flip salmon seam side down onto the prepared baking sheet.  There is no need to seal the nori with water, it will stick to the wet salmon and seal as the salmon bakes.  Repeat with remaining salmon portions.  Discard the marinade.

Bake salmon about 10 minutes until salmon is cooked through. Remove salmon from oven and let sit a couple of minutes before serving hot.

Nori Wrapped salmon cold the next day - and still delicious.

5 comments:

Ina said...

Erin - this sounds delicious...my mouth is watering - yum!

Nicole said...

Erin, I haven't posted in ages, but I just have to say I love this salmon. It makes excellent cold leftovers for a lunchbox too. I omitted the maple syrup tonight and I still liked it (doing the whole no sugar thing at the moment).

Erin said...

Thanks, Nicole! We love this salmon cold the next day too. You are braver than I with the no sugar thing. Are you doing stevia? Maybe a pinch would work here?

Nicole said...

Erin, no sugar. Today is day 3!!! Really, I have a # of things going on healthwise and over the past year I kept looking more and more at the paleo diet, specifically the autoimmune protocol so I started a small group to do a Whole30 challenge for a month to kick start me in and give me encouragement.

(You can read more here: http://livinglife4god2.blogspot.com/ -- specifically the posts "starting anew" and "my endometriosis plan" as well as the "about me" page if you are interested.)

Erin said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Keep me updated, it sounds intriguing!