Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Sweet Potato Hash with Cilantro and Lime

Well, it's been awhile.  I can't believe I've let a month race by without posting any recipes.  Time just slips through my fingers like sand.  I blink, and a week has passed.  It seems like every time I look at the girls they look bigger, taller, stronger.  I find myself thinking of them as babies a lot lately, pulling down memories of their toothless grins and baby drool.  I wonder if my nostalgia is due to them growing like weeds, or the unpleasant thought that I'm teetering on the brink of forty.  It's probably both, but more the latter.  Teaching middle school students is not helping me feel any younger, either.   Today's writing exercise was to describe our class alien and his origins.  I was throwing out ideas to help prompt some creative thinking and to my horror, I almost said our alien likes to listen to rock and roll.  Rock and roll?  That sounds so 50's!  Then I thought, no wait, he listens to heavy metal!  Which brought up an image of big hair and skin tight pants from the 80's.  No, that wouldn't do either, as all of my dear students were not even born until 2 decades later.  So I blurted out that our class alien might be a nose-picking opera singer.  Because if your teacher can dream up a nose-picking alien, she can't be that old.  Right?




Sweet Potato Hash
I had this dish once at a restaurant some time ago and I recreated it based on memory.  It's one of my favorite fast dishes to throw together on weekends.  It's great with eggs or sausage...and it's great all by itself, too.

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
1/3 cup diced green or red pepper
1 shallot, diced
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tsp. lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 slices cooked and chopped bacon, if desired

Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the potato, green pepper and shallot.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the potato is tender.  Turn off the heat and add the cilantro, scallions and lime juice.  Season with salt and pepper and adjust lime juice to taste.  Add cooked and chopped bacon, if desired.  Toss well and serve hot.

1 comment:

Ina said...

Erin - love the flavors here - this is my kind of dish - yum!