Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Homemade Burritos

I am tired.

Let me say it again.  I. Am. Tired.  And this is so, so sad, but the last thing I want to do is cook anything on a school night.  I make a pot of soup on the weekends that will get us through half the week, and the other half is improvised with whatever is leftover in the fridge.  Last night I made chicken salad lettuce wraps topped with guacamole and served Beanitos and red pepper strips on the side.  I am SO lucky my girls thought that was the best dinner ever.  They are pretty agreeable to most things...even sardines on toast (served when mommy is totally frazzled).

After making enchiladas that were a big hit (a more involved weekend meal), I started to crave burritos.  I'm talking the frozen, throw in the microwave, stick to the roof of your mouth kind I remember from childhood...mostly white flour tortilla with a weensy bit of filling inside.  Looking back now I think, how gross was that?  Nasty glutenous processed comfort food at its worst, filled with trans fats and mystery meat and who knows what else...blech.  But now I wanted burritos...fast.  They had to be easy to throw together and easy to reheat on a school night.  Enter Rudi's GF tortillas (happily also egg free!) and Pacific Refried Beans.

I'm not even going to post a real recipe for these burritos.  Basically, do what you want.  Throw in some cooked diced sweet potato into the refried beans, or some ground meat, or broccoli, or whatever you like.  Stir it together in a bowl.  Season to taste.  Scoop some filling onto one side of a tortilla and top with Daiya.  Roll up as in the pictures below.  Cook over low heat in a skillet brushed with a little olive oil until golden brown on the bottom, then flip and cook on the other side.  Covering the skillet helps the cheese melt inside.  Serve with salsa and guacamole and a veggie on the side.  You can make these and freeze them for when you are having a really, really bad day and just feel like you want to sling skillets across the kitchen instead of cook with them.  Don't do that.  Head for the freezer and sling some burritos into the skillet instead.


Ahh, burritos.  I feel better already.  I don't even have to warm up the tortillas before rolling!

In fact, I feel slightly giddy over the way these tortillas don't split and crack open as I stuff and roll them.  Rudis, you make me so happy, because if I had to make my own tortillas on a school night, I'd be really cranky.

So pretty, no?  Not a split in sight.

I'm feeling better and better.  I've spent like, 3 minutes on dinner at this point.

Look at those burrittos, nestled so snug in my frying pan.  Very soon, I will eat you, little burritos, 
and you will be so tasty!  (Good grief, I'm tired.)

Salsa-free, for Anna who still cannot deal with anything saucy.

Megan and I like to dump salsa on ours.  She likes to smother her sauteed cabbage 
in salsa too.  To each her own.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Is Rudi's good?? I always wanted to try that brand.

Erin said...

I am in love with Rudi's GF tortillas. I like the Spinach best, then the Fiesta. They are light - not heavy, and made with a mix of grains. They are just the right size - not too big or too small. They roll up like a dream and don't crumble, nor are they gummy (like the Udi's - I really don't dig the gumminess of Udi's). I love Rudi's so much that I don't blink at the price anymore (they are at least $2 more expensive than other GF tortillas). But I think they are worth it!