Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Red Lentil Hummus

Hi, everyone.  Long time, no write.  I have been so flat out lately that I quite honestly just dream of sleeping.  Unfortunately, my dreams are convoluted and full of angst so I don't really feel rested, ever.  My poor husband, who lives lately to relax and detox with me over a Dr. Who episode, has had to hear excuses about how I really cannot make it through a 45 minute episode and must get some sleep now.  Even my normally constantly whirring mind is demanding a break and I'm finding myself falling asleep at the computer or as I'm trying to grade papers. 

And yet, here I am posting a recipe.  Wait, I can hear you ask, What are you doing posting a recipe when you should be cementing lesson plans for your lovely, fabulous students?  Because....because sometimes lesson plans need to wait, and the mind needs to take a break.  I mean, when you start telling your grammar students that they need to ask their sentences questions and then listen for the answers, you know it's time to unwind.  Yes, it's time to table the grammar and share a recipe.

Tonight I am choosing to post a super fast, super easy recipe for hummus.  It's not a true hummus, as it's made from red lentils, but it tastes really great and it's a nice departure from the standard chickpea hummus we've been living on for years.  Given our food sensitivities, it is not unwise to switch things up a bit and give some foods a break.  Red lentils fall apart when cooked so a huge plus to this recipe is the fact that I don't have to haul out the food processor to get a smooth consistency.  This hummus is divine served warm and drizzled with some good olive oil.


Red Lentil Hummus

2 cups dried red lentils
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
juice from 1 lemon
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8. tsp. cayenne pepper

Heat about 3 cups of water in a medium saucepan until boiling.  Add the lentils and reduce heat.  Stirring frequently to keep the lentils from ssticking to the bottom of the pot, simmer until the lentils are soft and falling apart, about 15 - 20 minutes.  You may need to add water as the lentils cook.  You want the final mixture to be thick, not soupy.  The lentils are done when you stir them with a spoon and they turn into a smooth-ish looking paste.  Turn off the heat.

To the lentils add the remaining ingredients and stir well.  Ajust the seasonings to your taste.  The dip is great served warm and it will thicken as it cools. 

No comments: